Wednesday 8 April 2020

State of Emergency Post 3

I look like hell. My hands have been washed every 8 to 12 minutes for the last three weeks but this morning I realized I had completely forgotten about the rest of my body. It has been days since my hair was washed.

Do you remember what Tom Hanks looked like in Castaway? Remember the movie where his only companion is a volley ball called Wilson? My hair looks like Tom Hanks’ did, maybe a little worse.

The good news is I’m not yet talking to a volley ball. It will be a long time before that happens. I won’t need to talk to a volleyball because now I have Betty.

Betty is my tea pot. Brown Betty is a welcome relief from conversations with Carmelle, who by the way is doing fine. As you can see from the photo she is out of isolation and hanging around the kitchen with me and Betty.

I snuck back in the house this afternoon from the shed and worked part of the day from the kitchen table. It was snowing here in Ontario today and I was freezing in the shed. Every time Carmelle brought up the roommate agreement I gave her a treat and changed the subject. For today at least that strategy has worked.

The picture also shows one of my many geraniums. The folks in various gardening groups have been most gracious sharing these stories of my survival, and I hope that all of their plants are doing well.

While these posts may be a little off topic for some groups, you are indeed helping a fellow gardener and her cats by sharing them. Hopefully you are also helping people who need a little humour in their lives these days. Laughter is the best medicine.

Maybe even someone who isn’t taking the virus serious will start to do so by considering how many lives are being affected, and not just human lives, but the lives of cats too.

By the way, Carmelle says thanks for all of the praise that you cat lovers have been lavishing on her. She also asked me to share a message from her. She dictated it and I wrote it out for you. It’s in the second photo.

But let’s get back to Betty. She came over for tea today and we had a great time. Well she didn’t really come over for tea. I made a pot of Earl Grey and that’s when the hallucinations started happening. It was just so nice to have someone other than a cat to talk to. I’m normally a coffee drinker, but since I’m rationing my coffee supply, Betty will be a bigger part of my life than normal. I'm glad I'm getting to know her better.

When this whole thing is over, Betty and I are going to celebrate. On the first available Saturday night, we’re inviting Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, and Johnny Walker for a party in the shed. I really miss talking to men. Sure Betty and the cats are great but they’re all female.

For many years I was a yacht broker in Vancouver, back then, wealthy men used to send me photos of their yachts. Now quarantined women send me photos of their cats. I’ve made some bad choices in life and now I’m reaping the consequences.

While I appreciate all of the support the cat ladies have been giving. I just really had no idea there were so many of you. Thank you for all of the many photos of your own cats. Thank you also for staying indoors.

If any of you happen to know men with boats please let them know I’d love to see photo of a yacht. I’d even settle for photo of an old fish boat. Frankly a canoe or even a kayak would do. I just need proof that men and their boats still exist. My biggest fear is that the world population now consists only of cat ladies and the felines who control them..Please just one boat photo, beg you!





No comments:

Post a Comment