Wednesday 8 April 2020

State of Emergency Post 11

I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news.

The good news is the date with Robin was spectacular! In fact, I can honestly say, it was the best date I’ve had in years. It’s been my only date in years, so admittedly there isn’t much to compare it to, but it was outstanding.

Having Brown Betty babysit the cats however did not go so well. In fact it was an epic disaster. If you missed my previous post, you might not realize that I accidentally washed off Betty’s face while doing the dishes.

I had hoped that leaving her without a face would not hinder her ability to care for the cats. Cats after all are such independent creatures. It turns out not having her ears mouth and eyes put poor Betty at a tremendous disadvantage.

Robin and I were downstairs enjoying a delightful time together. At various points throughout the evening I heard noises coming from one of the spare rooms upstairs. My cats can be quite active, so I dismissed the noises assuming they were just playing around.

As the night progressed though, the noises grew a little louder, and occurred with greater frequency. Robin and I were having such a wonderful time together that I routinely dismissed the sounds and kept my attention on Robin. You’ve seen his picture so as you can imagine this wasn’t difficult to do. What a charmer.

Anyway, after eating dinner and watching a couple of episodes of The Love Boat I suggested to Robin that we call it an evening. With the whole social distancing thing in effect it just seemed appropriate to end the evening a bit early. Robin was a perfect gentleman and went back to his place in the pantry cupboard without making a fuss.

After closing the pantry cupboard, I went upstairs to check on Betty and the cats. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw next. I opened the door to find the cats had used one of their crayons to turn poor sweet Betty into an elephant. The door was barely opened when Betty came charging through the hallway and down the stairs.

My houseplants had been growing rapidly the past few weeks, they are apparently benefiting from the extra conversations we’ve been having. Suddenly they seemed to grow even more rapidly and the whole house looked like a scene from Jumanji.

I had an elephant charging through a jungle and my cats were going wild. It took all day yesterday to get things under control, and I am exhausted. There are still vines hanging from the chandelier, hopefully tomorrow I can get those down too. Robin is coming back for a second date later in the week, so I will need to get rid of them somehow.

Betty is still a bit traumatized but I gave her some Chamomile tea and am hoping that will calm her nerves. The photo shows her when she was still an elephant. She has forgiven the cats for what they did to her but she says she won’t forget it. Elephants never forget

No comments:

Post a Comment