Wednesday 8 April 2020

State of Emergency Post 5

  • I’m losing track of time. I keep getting an error message from my computer saying “your clock is behind.” For fun I reset it to a random time and date. That might have been a mistake.

    March 17, 2020 was my first day working from home. Can someone please let me know how many months I’ve been locked inside with my cats? Are we still in 2020?

    I might have messed up the universe by resetting the date. Life is starting to feel like an H.G. Wells novel. It occurred to me recently one of the home-schooled kids might have been bright enough to build a time machine. Maybe we are experiencing the effects.

    Things are really different now. People are sitting down for dinner together, stores are closing on Sundays, and today families were gathered in their living rooms listening to the radio. It’s starting to feel like the 1930s or 40s. Somehow this is comforting.

    This morning the local radio station, 106.5 Moose FM, broadcast Mass from Barry’s Bay. This gives me some reassurance that today is Sunday; I’m just not sure about the month and year. If you want to tune in, next week, you can do so online or through the Radio Player Canada app. It will air 11:00 Eastern time.

    I feel it’s necessary to give you folks reading across Canada some reassurance that Barry’s Bay Ontario is a real place. It’s about 23 minutes from Palmer Rapids where I live with Betty and the cats. Combermere is midway between Barry’s Bay and Palmer Rapids. Combermere is the where Madonna House is located.

    If you’re feeling a little stressed these days, you might want to get the free e-book that Madonna House is offering until April 12. I'll leave a link to it and to the radio station in the comments.

    My Facebook profile says Combermere because Palmer is so small that Facebook doesn’t even recognize it as a location. I can assure you though it really does exist, and this is truly the way life is here right now.

    Canadians are strange. Many believe that Dog River exists, but some are questioning if Palmer Rapids is a real place. Maybe checking out the links will help give you proof.

    Today feels very relaxing, like a Sunday should be. I just had cinnamon toast and tea with Betty. By the way she says to say hello. If you’re running out of jam, a bit of cinnamon and sugar on toast is a delightful treat.

    I’m glad today feels so relaxing. Yesterday was VERY stressful. The tension between Carmelle and I hit a new level.

    Many of you have been getting those Covid19 messages from companies explaining how their policies and procedures have changed due to the pandemic. Yesterday Carmelle issued her own Covid19 update. It states there will be changes to roommate agreement.

    Prior to the pandemic, I had been trying to sharpen my negotiating skills by watching Chris Voss videos. When Carmelle issued her statement, I felt it was a good opportunity to practice the negotiating tips Chris Voss suggested.

    Apparently they don’t work on cats.

    The photos show Carmelle at various points during the talks. They say communication is 97% about body language. As you can see the negations did NOT go well.

    I’m going to try to stay calm today and hope that all of you do too. It’s best to take things one day at a time. I'll give you an update tomorrow on the revisions to the roommate agreement. Please pray it goes well. These are difficult times and we all have to pray for each other.





MARCH 21

No comments:

Post a Comment