Wednesday 8 April 2020

State of Emergency Post 14

My life coach is really helping me stay grounded in reality. She is a tremendous support during this time of isolation with my cats. Today she had me look at the past, the present and the future to help me come to terms with the things that have changed. She wanted me to see how many of the changes that have happened recently are really very positive. She’s absolutely right.

For example, this morning my life coach Pam the Pan asked, “What do you miss most from your life before you started working from home?” I thought about it for a moment; so many possible answers came flooding in at once.

I was confused about which one I should say first. Pam said, “Just say the first thing that comes to your mind.” I said, “OK, I guess I miss people.” “Good,” she said. “That is something to be grateful for.” Then she asked, “And can you be grateful for all of the people who are in your life now, I mean all of the people you live with?”

She could see that I was a bit confused so she started listing them. “Can you be grateful for people Kerry the Kettle, Brown Betty, me and the cats? Aren’t these new people in your life worth being grateful for? And what about Robin and the onions don’t you enjoy talking to them?”

She was absolutely right. They’re all great people and some of the best conversations of my life have taken place over with these new friends. Sure, I miss other people I can’t meet with, but really it is so nice to have so many other people living with me now.

This unfortunately has created a new issue. With so many unrelated people living in the house, we are in violation of the rules restricting the number of people who can congregate in one place. There must be twenty people alone in the onion bag.

I started to panic when I realized we were breaking the new rules, but Pam the Pan pulled me through again. She pointed out that this is a present concern that can be dealt with by implementing some new house rules. For example, the onions don’t have to live all in the same bag. She was right again!

I was really worried about splitting up the onions. But to my great surprise, they are thriving! They are so much fun to have around. They’ve all been keeping a safe distance apart and are coming up with all sorts of ways to keep themselves entertained. They’re so sweet!

This afternoon two of the onions (Albert and Vivian) asked me if they could be left alone for a bit in the dining room. I told them that was no problem. It was so nice to see them adapting to their new normal and being really great about keeping a safe distance.

I went outside to work on the garden. When I was out there, I thought I could hear singing, but then again I’ve thought I’ve heard a lot of things this past while. I just assumed it was the voices in my head. Nope this time it wasn’t.

Somehow the onions found out that I’m a huge Jim Croce fan. Know what they did? They learned the words to Croce’s song “Tomorrow’s Gonna Be a Brighter Day”. Tubby accompanied them on the piano and they performed the song for me after dinner. It was amazing! We had blast! Albert and Vivian sang so well and Tubby Washington was just fantastic on the piano. We’re going to have a sing along on the weekend.

If your day was rough, you might want to listen to some Jim Croce to ease yourself into the night. And remember tomorrow IS going to be a better day. So sleep tight with the assurance it will be.

Here's a link to the song if you don't know it.

https://youtu.be/TlH3HdZO6Fc



No comments:

Post a Comment