Wednesday 8 April 2020

State of Emergency Post 16

Many years ago after having my heart broken, crushed and stepped on, a friend told me not to worry because relationships are like buses. If you miss one, another one will come along very soon.

Folks we have no transit system in Palmer Rapids.

Maybe I’m putting too much stock in the metaphor, but if things don’t work out with Robin it could be a very long wait.

My life coach Pam the Pan told me I have to take responsibility for my life and that I can’t just sit back and expect Robin to take care of me. Even though he has had a really good career with the flour company, nobody’s job is secure these days.

Pam suggested I create a vision board, outlining the things I really want in life.

I worked on my vision board today; there is a pretty big gap between the board and what my actual life looks like now.

For example, my hair looks much better on the vision board. It might be because the hair on my vision board belongs to a 25 year-old model instead of to me, but still it is good to have an ideal to work towards.

Some of you asked to see my “do it yourself done in spite of being warned not to do it” haircut. The selfie was taken today, after several attempts to fix the original botched coiffure; hopefully it will improve with time.

Skinny people with long arms have no idea how difficult it is for those of us with short arms and a double chin to take a selfie. This is photo attempt 52; it’s as good as it’s going to get for the time being.

Carmelle took a look at my vision board; as you can see from her expression, she is a bit skeptical.

You may have noticed from these and other photos that my house is a work in progress. It’s an oldie but goodie, built in 1937 or earlier. There is still quite a bit of work to do, but it is coming along.

As a kid I spent every Saturday afternoon watching “This Old House” on PBS and it had always been my dream to restore an old home. When Carmelle appeared less than enthusiastic about the probability of the items on my vision board coming to fruition, I reminded her that it was not very long ago that getting this house was pipe dream too.

Carmelle came with the house by the way.

I moved in October 1, 2016, on the feast St. Theresa the Little Flower. I stood in the kitchen that first night and I began to have doubts about moving to Palmer Rapids.

I came from Vancouver with only two suitcases and a one way ticket, so the house was pretty empty. It had been vacant for some time before I moved in. As I stood looking out the window into the pouring rain on a very dark night, I began to be quite afraid. This former city girl did not realize how dark the country gets at night.

It occurred to me at that point there was a probably a mouse or two lurking around and I said out loud, “I wish I had a cat!”

No more than twenty minute later, a dripping wet very skinny little calico came to my back porch. When I opened the door she came right in screaming at me for having taken so long. She jumped up on my shoulder and has spent much of her time in the years that followed perched right there.

I didn’t have any cat food so I cooked her bacon, potatoes and sour cream for dinner, which she very gratefully wolfed down.

I know several people called Theresa, so I couldn’t very well call my new cat by that name, even if it was the feast of St. Theresa. Since St. Theresa was a Carmelite, the little calico took the name Carmelle and has answered to it ever since.

It never bothers me now that it gets so dark here at night. The view of the stars in Palmer Rapids is amazing. It is only in the middle of darkness that you really appreciate the stars. These are dark days for many people, but fear not; this too shall pass. Sometimes it takes a very dark night to bring us to our knees and ask for what we really need.

By asking for what you need, you never know whose dream you might be fulfilling in the process. On that first dark night in Palmer, I needed a cat and Carmelle needed a place to call home. Our needs were perfectly met. We didn’t start out with much, but we’ve had a lot of fun muddling along together day by day.

On the dark nights remember to take time to look up at the stars and to open your heart to those in need. Who knows where your own story will lead as result.










No comments:

Post a Comment