Wednesday 8 April 2020

State of Emergency Post 15

I’m all over the map!

Not literally, just emotionally. Like most of you, I’ve been inside for what seems like a very, very, very long time. I’m experiencing the full gamut of feelings these days and am struggling to process them.

My housemates are all wonderful people, OK, “people” is not quite the right word but they are still wonderful. Despite how amazing Betty, Kerry, Pam, Albert, Vivian and the cats are, there are still some challenges here in Palmer Rapids that I don’t quite know how to handle. This is such a confusing time.

I’m just going to come right out and say it. Robin and I are having some issues.

I feel a bit shallow because maybe I was really just attracted to his good looks. It’s hard to say. Things might still work out, but our date on the weekend really didn’t go as planned. I have an appointment with my life coach tomorrow, so maybe that will help but at the moment I feel quite pessimistic about the probability of things working out long term between us. I had had such high hopes.

I hate being such a downer especially when so many of you have been so encouraging and had hoped that, finally I might have found someone who can tolerate me, but I had to let you know.

I feel so stupid bringing up this relationship problem when people around the world are being so helpful to each other, doing such amazing selfless acts to save people.

There are so many amazing opportunities to help alleviate the problems of mankind these days. It almost makes you think we should have had this crisis sooner. The ingenuity of the people in my local community and that of friends across Canada continues to inspire me every day. If we play our cards right, and continue to build or rebuild family and community bonds in these days of rest and isolation, we will come through this period a more grateful, more compassionate, more empathetic world.

Now is the time for artists, entrepreneurs, families and well-formed communities to rise to the challenges ahead. We will reap what we sow.

This brings me to a situation that happened a few days ago where I was really confused by all of the opportunities to volunteer. In my confusion, I nearly ripped up my septic system to help the cause. Fortunately I figured things out just in time.

Many of you have been dutifully sewing masks to help with the shortages; it has been impressive to see so many people get behind various initiatives. Yet in some areas, there is still a need for more volunteers. I saw an ad asking for more people to help sew the masks. It read: “sewers needed” (pronounced SOH-ers) as in people who sew.

I read sewers (pronounced so͞oərs) as in systems for transporting sewage. Ever since the people started hording toilet paper I’ve been saying, “Somebody is going to have a nasty septic problem this spring.” When I thought they were calling for people to donate sewer systems, I told Betty, “See I knew it would happen!”

I cannot tell you how grateful I am that I did not drop off a used sewage pipe to answer the call for sewers. It would have been both embarrassing and incredibly unhygienic.

I'm sorry for the delay in posting, but as you can probably tell, this was a rough weekend. Thanks to all of you who sent messages and checked in on us one way or another. Everyone else (even Robin) seems to be doing just fine.

People have been asking about Albert and Vivian. Everyone seems to like them. (I really had hoped Robin and I would end up as cute a couple as they are. Maybe that was too much to hope for.)

The photo shows Tubby Washington talking to Albert; they get along very well. I played some jazz piano on the weekend and the three of them sang along. I don’t really play the piano much normally, and just have it because I write song lyrics. It’s been so inspiring having people who love music around that I decided to play a few tunes. Music can really help get you through some pretty tough times emotionally.



No comments:

Post a Comment